Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail but will remain in jail
New Delhi:Businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife, arrested in various cases, were today granted bail by a Delhi court in a money laundering case after the Enforcement Directorate (ED) failed to file a charge sheet against them.
However, Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu, would remain in jail under judicial custody as they are yet to secure bail in a case lodged against them by the CBI under the Official Secrets Act (OSA).
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Gautam Manan granted bail to Verma and his wife on a personal bond of Rs one lakh and a surety of the like amount observing that the ED has failed to file charge sheet against the couple within the stipulated 60 days period.
"In view of the facts and circumstances, the accused (Verma and Anca) are granted bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs one lakh and one surety of the like amount," the court said after ED`s prosecutor Naveen Kumar Matta said that the agency would not file charge sheet against them on Saturday.
After granting bail to the accused, the court remanded them in judicial custody till November 2 after they said that they would not furnish the bail bond today.
The ED had arrested the couple after they had moved an application to surrender in the money laundering case against them for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms dealing firm to keep it out of the Indian government`s blacklist.
Verma and his wife, who were arrested in August, are also accused in a corruption case and a forgery case lodged by the CBI. They have been granted bail in both the cases by the court but they have not furnished the bail bonds.
Verma is also an accused in the Naval war room leak case.
During the day, Verma and Anca were also produced before a CBI court which extended their judicial custody till November 2 in connection with the corruption and forgery case lodged against them.
Special CBI Judge Sanjeev Jain also issued notice to the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) of the third battalion of the Delhi Armed Police to file his reply on a plea by Anca, seeking a separate van to ferry her between jail and court due to alleged threats of extortion against her.
The court had earlier asked the DCP to file a report by today but as it was not submitted, it asked the official to file the same by November 2.
The third battalion of Delhi Armed Police is responsible for ferrying undertrial prisoners between various courts and jails.
Anca, in her plea, has alleged that one of the women undertrials Rashmi, wife of Hari Kishan Sharma who is key accused in the Rs 5.25 crore heist that took place recently in Defence Colony here, was making extortion threats to her.
She had also alleged that she has extortion demands from one Shivani, a murder accused.
Verma and his wife were earlier granted bail in a corruption case for allegedly receiving USD 5,30,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG for using their influence to stall the firm`s blacklisting by the government here after the agency had failed to file its charge sheet against them.
Similarly, they were granted bail in the forgery case lodged on a complaint by Union Minister Ajay Maken after the charge sheet was not filed against them within the stipulated 60 days period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt