Advani gives credit to Rajiv Gandhi for Ganga cleaning project
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani on Monday gave credit to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi for initiating a project to clean the polluted Ganga river for which his party has also launched a programme.
"The protection of the Ganga is not a political issue. BJP is not raising it for this reason. All parties understand the importance of safeguarding it. Rajiv Gandhi was the first one to start the project for cleaning the Ganga," he said at a party programme here organised on saving the river, considered holy by Hindus.
During his Prime Ministership, Gandhi had launched the Ganga Action Plan to clean up the river which had crossed acceptable norms of pollution.
BJP`s Hindutva face Uma Bharti has launched a programme spread across several states to save the river.
Advani said the present Congress-led government has not paid any heed to the need for cleaning the Ganga.
"I told this government that they should take up (the issue of) cleaning the Ganga but it was ignored. Now the Supreme Court has issued an elaborate order on the issue and told the amicus curiae that he can even file a contempt case against the government if he deems it necessary," the BJP leader said.
He suggested that it would be better if Bharti calls the amicus curiae (assisting the court) and asks him to move a contempt notice.
Advani said Jawaharlal Nehru too had respect for the Ganga. "Nehru had said in his last will and testament that his ashes should be immersed in the Ganga," he said, emphasising the need for keeping rivers clean which should be a continuous process.
"Like espousing the cause of nationalism, this is also a continous process. They have to be a perpetual part of our programme," he said.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari, who was also present, said hydro projects on rivers were a major issue. He said he was pained to see rivers like the Ganga and the Yamuna in such a polluted state.
Gadkari announced that if voted to power, BJP would set aside Rs 10,000 crore for cleaning the Ganga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon