Airport Metro problems mired in blame game
New Delhi: Problems in the Airport Metro Express have got mired in a blame game with operator Reliance Infrastructure putting the entire onus on Delhi Metro for defects in the civil structure because of which the services had to be suspended.
As a joint inspection team of Delhi Metro, Reliance Infrastructure and Indian Railways gave its findings, the Government today appointed a two-member committee to find and fix responsibility for the defects that have been found in the bearings, the interface between pillar and girder.
"The inspection team has given its findings and it has been discussed at the meeting today. 540 bearings were inspected and faults ranging from minor to major ones have been detected on many of them. Now, we have decided to check all 2,100 bearings on the corridor," Urban Development Secretary Sudhir Krishna told a press conference here.
The Reliance Infrastructure, which operates the line, blamed the Delhi Metro and the contractor saying "these defects were there from day one."
"The nature of the defects are such that the drawings have not been followed in construction itself. These defects existed from day one," Sumit Banerjee, Head, Infrastructure, Reliance Infrastructure, said.
Delhi Metro Managing Director Mangu Singh, who was also present at the press conference, did not oblige journalists when asked to respond to the complaints from Reliance Infra.
Banerjee insisted more than once that the defects were there from day one, but evaded questions whether the line was inaugurated without a thorough inspection of the civil structure to meet the deadline.
Krishna also gave hints that the August-end deadline set by the government for reopening the corridor may not be met as all bearings have to be inspected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...