Alert Delhi cops rescue gang-rape victim from tinted car
New Delhi: After a midnight chase and high drama, Delhi Police arrested four men and rescued a young woman bundled inside a car with tinted windows driving towards North Delhi in the wee hours on Thursday.
According to reports, a Police Control Room team spotted a Santro car near Burari roundabout around 2.30 am and asked it to stop. However, the vehicle broke through the barricade and sped away. So the cops, on duty, alerted other vans patrolling the area. Finally, the car was intercepted near Wazirabad flyover.
After intercepting the vehicle, the policemen found a young woman inside the car with four men. On seeing the policemen, the woman narrated her story to them that she was kidnapped and gang-raped by the four men.
The woman was then rushed to hospital, where medical tests confirmed that she has been sexually assaulted. The four men, identified as Abid (21), Shakeel (23), Irshad (30) and Lajpat Rai Sachdeva (38), were then arrested by the police.
After primary investigation, the police learnt that the victim allegedly knew one of the suspects, Shakeel, a tailor. When she met him last night, Shakeel called her to a house in Swaroop Nagar where he, along with three friends, allegedly took turns to rape her.
"After committing the crime, the accused bundled the victim into a car and were heading towards Burari," a police official told reporters later.
“Since the victim alleged that she had been raped, we have arrested the four under relevant provisions of the Indian Penal Code. Initially the victim refused to undergo a medical examination, but later it was done with her consent,” said a senior police officer.
Though the police remain tight-lipped about the case, it has come to light that the victim has a two-year-old child and is separated from her husband.
In December, a student was fatally gang-raped on a bus with tinted windows in Delhi, provoking angry protests and calls for better policing in the capital. Since then, the police claims it has introduced a burst of measures to improve safety includes checking vehicles and pulling over anyone with tinted windows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town