Appeal for a National Day in memory of Delhi rape victim
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was Saturday appealed by a human rights organisation to declare December 29 as `National Day for Protesting Violence against Women` and announce a national award in the name of the Delhi gangrape victim who died in Singapore early this morning.
"No other incident has either evoked or shocked the conscience of the nation as this particular incident," said Asian Centre for Human Rights Director Suhas Chakma in a statement here.
"The Declaration of 29th December as the `National Day for Protesting Violence Against Women` and a national award in her name will remind the nation about the need to address the issue of violence against women", the statement said.
This should be done along with the number of actions to be recommended by the Justice J S Verma Committee and Justice Usha Mehra Committee (on violence against women), Chakma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir
- Euro 2016: Italy vs Spain - As it happened...
- When Lady Gaga met Dalai Lama!
- After Zuckerberg, OurMine hacks Sundar Pichai's Quora and Twitter accounts!