Appeal for a National Day in memory of Delhi rape victim
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was Saturday appealed by a human rights organisation to declare December 29 as `National Day for Protesting Violence against Women` and announce a national award in the name of the Delhi gangrape victim who died in Singapore early this morning.
"No other incident has either evoked or shocked the conscience of the nation as this particular incident," said Asian Centre for Human Rights Director Suhas Chakma in a statement here.
"The Declaration of 29th December as the `National Day for Protesting Violence Against Women` and a national award in her name will remind the nation about the need to address the issue of violence against women", the statement said.
This should be done along with the number of actions to be recommended by the Justice J S Verma Committee and Justice Usha Mehra Committee (on violence against women), Chakma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das