Arvind Kejriwal ends fast, says both BJP, Congress will be wiped out
New Delhi: Activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal, who was on a hunger strike against "inflated" electricity and water bills in Delhi, ended his fast on Saturday.
Breaking his fast, Kejriwal said, "Today, people are fed up of both the BJP and the Congress. These parties will be wiped out in the elections."
Hitting out at the main opposition party, Kejriwal said that the BJP is just pretending to oppose electricity prices. "Vijay Goel was only offering token protests," he added.
Asking himself what he has achieved from the fast, Kejriwal answered, "Delhi has woken up and the upcoming Assembly Election will be fought on the issue of electricity and water."
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader was on a hunger strike since March 23 against the allegedly inflated water and power bills.
Kejriwal had earlier expressed his wish that he would have wanted Anna Hazare to end his hunger strike.
"I wanted to break my fast with Anna Hazare but he is busy with his nationwide tour. He has sent his blessings," a visibly weak Kejriwal had said yesterday.
Addressing AAP supporters in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi, he had said: "Nearly 10.5 lakh people have signed the petition agreeing that the government is fleecing them with inflated electricity and water bill. During this campaign we have reached poorest of the poor."
"More than the number of people who voted for her (Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit) are now asking her to reduce the rates of electricity and water. If she believes in democracy, I think she should do what they are asking," he said.
Hinting about the next stage of his protest, Kejriwal said the volunteers of AAP would help residents of Delhi to reconnect the power supply to homes which are without electricity because of unpaid bills.
"The party`s volunteers would go door-to-door for restoring electricity connections of poor people in Delhi," he added.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!