Arvind Kejriwal ends fast, says both BJP, Congress will be wiped out
New Delhi: Activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal, who was on a hunger strike against "inflated" electricity and water bills in Delhi, ended his fast on Saturday.
Breaking his fast, Kejriwal said, "Today, people are fed up of both the BJP and the Congress. These parties will be wiped out in the elections."
Hitting out at the main opposition party, Kejriwal said that the BJP is just pretending to oppose electricity prices. "Vijay Goel was only offering token protests," he added.
Asking himself what he has achieved from the fast, Kejriwal answered, "Delhi has woken up and the upcoming Assembly Election will be fought on the issue of electricity and water."
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader was on a hunger strike since March 23 against the allegedly inflated water and power bills.
Kejriwal had earlier expressed his wish that he would have wanted Anna Hazare to end his hunger strike.
"I wanted to break my fast with Anna Hazare but he is busy with his nationwide tour. He has sent his blessings," a visibly weak Kejriwal had said yesterday.
Addressing AAP supporters in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi, he had said: "Nearly 10.5 lakh people have signed the petition agreeing that the government is fleecing them with inflated electricity and water bill. During this campaign we have reached poorest of the poor."
"More than the number of people who voted for her (Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit) are now asking her to reduce the rates of electricity and water. If she believes in democracy, I think she should do what they are asking," he said.
Hinting about the next stage of his protest, Kejriwal said the volunteers of AAP would help residents of Delhi to reconnect the power supply to homes which are without electricity because of unpaid bills.
"The party`s volunteers would go door-to-door for restoring electricity connections of poor people in Delhi," he added.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof