Arvind Kejriwal, supporters detained, released
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal and around 200 party supporters were detained by the Delhi Police Friday for protesting outside Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s residence, police said. They were released after some hours.
The supporters had reached Dikshit`s house at 3 Motli Lal Nehru Marg around 8 am to protest against a demolition drive in Shaheen Bagh colony in south Delhi and were detained around 12.30 p.m.
The protesters, raising slogans against the government, were demanding that they be allowed to meet the chief minister.
"We detained Kejriwal and his supporters outside the CM`s house and took them to the Parliament Street police station," a senior police officer said.
Among those detained were AAP leaders Manish Sisodia and Kumar Vishwas and also people whose properties were demolished.
A Delhi government official said the demolition drive was done on the orders of the Delhi High Court to remove illegal structures erected on Delhi Development Authority land.
But an AAP leader said the demolition drive had displaced around 500 families.
"It is their land. They have documents of it. But it is unauthorised because you have to get the map passed by the government," Kejriwal said during the protest.
He said it was announced in October 2010 that 1,600 colonies would be regularised in Delhi and this colony was one of them.
"Despite that, 500 houses were demolished," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal also submitted a memorandum to the Delhi lieutenant governor, demanding an inquiry into the demolition drive, said an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez