Arvind Kejriwal, supporters detained, released
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal and around 200 party supporters were detained by the Delhi Police Friday for protesting outside Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s residence, police said. They were released after some hours.
The supporters had reached Dikshit`s house at 3 Motli Lal Nehru Marg around 8 am to protest against a demolition drive in Shaheen Bagh colony in south Delhi and were detained around 12.30 p.m.
The protesters, raising slogans against the government, were demanding that they be allowed to meet the chief minister.
"We detained Kejriwal and his supporters outside the CM`s house and took them to the Parliament Street police station," a senior police officer said.
Among those detained were AAP leaders Manish Sisodia and Kumar Vishwas and also people whose properties were demolished.
A Delhi government official said the demolition drive was done on the orders of the Delhi High Court to remove illegal structures erected on Delhi Development Authority land.
But an AAP leader said the demolition drive had displaced around 500 families.
"It is their land. They have documents of it. But it is unauthorised because you have to get the map passed by the government," Kejriwal said during the protest.
He said it was announced in October 2010 that 1,600 colonies would be regularised in Delhi and this colony was one of them.
"Despite that, 500 houses were demolished," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal also submitted a memorandum to the Delhi lieutenant governor, demanding an inquiry into the demolition drive, said an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?