Begum Khaleda Zia meets President
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister of Bangladesh Begum Khaleda Zia on Saturday called on President Pranab Mukherjee who highlighted that India attaches highest importance to relations with the neighbouring country.
In the meeting with the Bangladeshi leader, the President called for establishment of friendly relations between India and Bangladesh and said there exists tremendous potential for cooperation between the two countries, a Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said.
Noting it is possible to change friends but not neighbours, the President said the two countries must live in a friendly atmosphere and do their utmost to strengthen cooperation in all fields.
He also reiterated the determination of India to address all concerns of Bangladesh.
Underlining Khaleda Zia`s contribution in the development of Bangladesh, Mukherjee recalled that he had met her twice before when she was in power.
The Bangladesh Nationalist Party chief, who was accompanied by a seven-member delegation, also remembered her past visits to the country and long association with Mukherjee.
She reiterated the commitment of her party to the establishment of strong and friendly relations with India, the statement said.
She conveyed that she had good discussions with the Prime Minister and the External Affairs Minister.
The Bangladeshi leader had arrived in New Delhi on October 28 on a week-long visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!