BJP youth activists clash with police in capital
New Delhi: Scores of BJP`s youth wing activists on Sunday clashed with police when they were stopped from marching towards Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence to demand his resignation and proper probe into scams and corruption allegations against the UPA government.
Holding placards and shouting slogans, the Yuva Morcha activists led by its president Anurag Thakur started their march from Aurangzeb Road, but were prevented from moving further near Tughlaq Road police station around 12:30 PM.
The activists clashed with police and broke one barricade to march ahead, but police resorted to water canon. The protesters, including Thakur and Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel, were detained and taken to a nearby police station.
"With this demonstration, we demand that the PM ought to speak up and also demand proper investigation into the scams and cases of corruption against Congress and its ministers coming out in the news on a daily basis," Thakur told reporters.
Anticipating the protest, the Race Course Road Metro station near the Prime Minister`s residence was closed for public this morning.
Race Course Metro station has been closed for public from 11 AM till further directions as per police advice, a Metro official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM