CBI files FIR against ex- NDMC chief Parimal Rai
New Delhi: The CBI has filed an FIR against then NDMC chairman Parimal Rai in alleged irregularities in the construction of Convention Centre which allegedly caused a loss of Rs 15 crore to the exchequer.
Rai has been booked for alleged irregularities in awarding contracts for civil and electrical works for the Convention Centre to a private firm, CBI sources said.
The agency had sought the sanction of the Home Ministry to file a case against Rai who is considered close to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, the sources said.
The agency after getting the sanction has registered a case against Rai and is likely to carry out searches at the premises of suspects, they said.
The sources also said there was enough evidence against Rai and other NDMC officials in the alleged graft charges in the award of contract for construction and other activities at the New Delhi Convention Centre.
Rai, who is posted as Secretary Health and Family Welfare in Goa, was the chairman of the New Delhi Municipal Council between 2007 and 2011.
Dikshit in her letter to Chidambaram had defended Rai noting that a number of officers had to take certain decisions bypassing laid down norms and procedures to ensure speedy implementation of the CWG projects and due care must be taken in allowing any investigation against them.
CBI sources said the Convention Centre was not a project under the Commonwealth Games.
The Delhi government had rejected the findings of the Shunglu Committee and CAG on the same grounds. Both CAG and Shunglu committee had slammed Delhi government for alleged irregularities in a number of CWG projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened