CBI files FIR against ex- NDMC chief Parimal Rai
New Delhi: The CBI has filed an FIR against then NDMC chairman Parimal Rai in alleged irregularities in the construction of Convention Centre which allegedly caused a loss of Rs 15 crore to the exchequer.
Rai has been booked for alleged irregularities in awarding contracts for civil and electrical works for the Convention Centre to a private firm, CBI sources said.
The agency had sought the sanction of the Home Ministry to file a case against Rai who is considered close to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, the sources said.
The agency after getting the sanction has registered a case against Rai and is likely to carry out searches at the premises of suspects, they said.
The sources also said there was enough evidence against Rai and other NDMC officials in the alleged graft charges in the award of contract for construction and other activities at the New Delhi Convention Centre.
Rai, who is posted as Secretary Health and Family Welfare in Goa, was the chairman of the New Delhi Municipal Council between 2007 and 2011.
Dikshit in her letter to Chidambaram had defended Rai noting that a number of officers had to take certain decisions bypassing laid down norms and procedures to ensure speedy implementation of the CWG projects and due care must be taken in allowing any investigation against them.
CBI sources said the Convention Centre was not a project under the Commonwealth Games.
The Delhi government had rejected the findings of the Shunglu Committee and CAG on the same grounds. Both CAG and Shunglu committee had slammed Delhi government for alleged irregularities in a number of CWG projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets