CITU denounces railway budget
New Delhi: The Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) Tuesday said the railway budget "reflects gross inconsistencies and contradictions camouflaged in deceptive postures".
Although rail fares were hiked only a month ago, "still (Railway Minister P.K. Bansal) did not spare wholly the passenger fare, putting indirect burden on the people", it said in a statement.
"The increase in reservation charges and fuel surcharges will have an impact of hike in passenger fare," said the statement issued by CITU general secretary Tapan Sen.
CITU added that the fuel charge adjustment policy indicated by the railway minister "has kept the door open for interim fare hike through executive order.
"Further the programme for putting in place a so-called independent regulatory authority reiterated in the budget speech makes clear the evil design to completely deregulate railway fares in the days to come."
It said the fuel surcharge hike and the five percent hike in freight rate would fuel the already high inflationary pressure.
"The budget stressed for promoting PPP in many areas of maintenance and development work, provoking backdoor privatization of various services."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing