Cong, BJP indicate mercy plea could save Rajoana
New Delhi: With protests in Punjab over the proposed execution of Balwant Singh Rajoana, Congress and BJP on Wednesday indicated that plea for clemency could be filed to prevent the punishment of the convict in the Beant Singh killing case.
"Whatever law allows in terms of petition, in terms of
appeal, in terms of reviews, these are there for everybody..,"
Law Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters outside Parliament
Reacting to a question whether he thinks that politics is
being played over the issue, Khurshid said, "Law of the land
is there for everyone clearly to follow."
Echoing similar views, BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar
said, "It is the law, which decides and gives rights to all
type of applications...so let the law take its own course."
"I think the law should take its own course," he told
The two major political parties’ statement assumes
significance in the wake of demand by Punjab government to
grant clemency to Rajoana whose execution is slated for March
Protesting against the proposed execution, radical Sikh
outfits today observed a day-long bandh in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere