Congress snubs Shashi Tharoor for his tweet over gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday snubbed Union Minister Shashi Tharoor for his tweet favouring making public the identity of the Delhi gang-rape victim and naming the proposed anti-rape legislation after her.
"It is his personal opinion. I suggest that since he is a part of the
government, he should have given the suggestion to the government rather than making any such statement in public. Party forum is also open for giving suggestions.
"It would have been better had he given this advice to the government as after all the decision has to be taken at their level and Home Minister (Sushilkumar Shinde) has to take the decision," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Tharoor, Minister of State for Human Resources Development, had yesterday favoured making public the identity of the gang-rape victim wondering what interest was served by keeping her name under wraps.
He also said the revised anti-rape legislation should be named after the victim if her parents do not have any objection.
Congress` disapproval of Tharoor`s remarks has interestingly come on a day when the family of the victim said it had no objection to naming the proposed new anti-rape law after the girl.
Alvi, however, said "there is no such practice in our country where laws of Indian Penal Code are named after indviduals, unlike in the US where they are named after the senators who move the bills.
Under the law, the identity of a rape victim cannot be disclosed. Printing or publishing the name or any matter which may make known the identity of any person against whom rape is committed is an offence under section 228-A of Indian Penal Code.
His comments also came close on the heels of Delhi Police registering a case against an English daily for publishing material which could lead to the identification of the victim.
This is not the first time Tharoor had courted controversy with his public comments.
In 2009, Tharoor had tweeted he would travel in "in cattle class out of solidarity with all our holy cows", causing a political uproar.
He was also involved in controversies surrounding IPL in 2010 when Lalit Modi had alleged that he was asked by an influential Union Minister not to get into details of Sunanda Pushkar who was given equity of approximately 4.5 percent in one of the league franchisees.
Tharoor denied the allegations but was forced to quit as Minister of State for External Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon