Court frames charges against man for raping 70-year-old mother
New Delhi: A man has been put on trial by a Delhi court on charges of raping his 70-year-old mother in an inebriated condition and threatening to kill her. The court said "prima facie there was sufficient evidence" to frame charges of rape and criminal intimidation with the threat to kill a person against accused Pawan, a resident of Patparganj here.
During the arguments on framing of charges, counsel for the accused had said that no external injuries were there on the woman`s body and she had not supported her allegations in her statement recorded before a magistrate.
The court, however, said in none of the judgements cited by the counsel, it was held that the accused can be discharged on the basis of statement recorded by magistrate under section 164 of the CrPC.
"I come to the conclusion that prima facie there is sufficient material to frame charge against the accused for the offences punishable under section 376/506(ii) of the IPC as the material on record raise grave suspicion that the accused might have committed the said offences.
"...Therefore, charge against the accused for offences punishable under Section 376/506(ii) of the IPC be framed accordingly," Additional Sessions Judge T R Naval said.
The court framed charges against the man after he pleaded not guilty and claimed trial. The woman had lodged a case against her son at Madhu Vihar police station alleging that on the intervening night of June 5 and 6 this year, he raped her and also threatened to kill her if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
She had told the police that her son had invited his friends to his house to consume liquor with them in the night.
When his friends left the house, they both slept and thereafter, he raped her. When she tried to stop him, he threatened her to keep quiet, the woman had said.
When the man went to sleep, she went to her sister`s house and disclosed the incident and reported the matter to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi