Court frames charges against man for raping 70-year-old mother
New Delhi: A man has been put on trial by a Delhi court on charges of raping his 70-year-old mother in an inebriated condition and threatening to kill her. The court said "prima facie there was sufficient evidence" to frame charges of rape and criminal intimidation with the threat to kill a person against accused Pawan, a resident of Patparganj here.
During the arguments on framing of charges, counsel for the accused had said that no external injuries were there on the woman`s body and she had not supported her allegations in her statement recorded before a magistrate.
The court, however, said in none of the judgements cited by the counsel, it was held that the accused can be discharged on the basis of statement recorded by magistrate under section 164 of the CrPC.
"I come to the conclusion that prima facie there is sufficient material to frame charge against the accused for the offences punishable under section 376/506(ii) of the IPC as the material on record raise grave suspicion that the accused might have committed the said offences.
"...Therefore, charge against the accused for offences punishable under Section 376/506(ii) of the IPC be framed accordingly," Additional Sessions Judge T R Naval said.
The court framed charges against the man after he pleaded not guilty and claimed trial. The woman had lodged a case against her son at Madhu Vihar police station alleging that on the intervening night of June 5 and 6 this year, he raped her and also threatened to kill her if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
She had told the police that her son had invited his friends to his house to consume liquor with them in the night.
When his friends left the house, they both slept and thereafter, he raped her. When she tried to stop him, he threatened her to keep quiet, the woman had said.
When the man went to sleep, she went to her sister`s house and disclosed the incident and reported the matter to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city