Court questions transfer of undertrial prisoner
New Delhi: A Delhi court has questioned the decision of the jail authorities to transfer an undertrial prisoner back to Rohini Jail from Tihar, where he was shifted after an altercation with other inmates.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Kamini Lau`s order came when undertrial Rajender, lodged in jail in connection with a criminal case, was produced before her with serious injuries including a bandaged face and blade injuries over his body.
The undertrial told the court that three other inmates, with one of whom he earlier had an altercation, had allegedly inflicted blade injuries on his body after he was shifted from Tihar back to Rohini Jail and put in the same cell housing the trio.
The court has directed the DIG (Prisons) of Tihar Jail to conduct an "internal inquiry" and submit a report on April 22 explaining under what circumstances Rajender was earlier shifted to Central Jail Tihar and then moved back to Rohini Jail and kept in the same barrack along with inmate Veer Bahadur.
The ASJ has also sent the statement of Rajender, recorded by her, along with the order sheet to the chief metropolitan magistrate (North) for "taking appropriate action" on the allegations of the accused.
Rajender had told the court that he was shifted back to Rohini Jail from Tihar on April 10 and was attacked by three inmates Veer Bahadur, Himanshu and Hari Singh in his cell on the intervening night of April 11-12.
He had said that at about 2:30 AM while he was sleeping, he suddenly felt he was being slashed by blades and he found that Veer Bahadur had caught hold of his neck from behind and Himanshu and Hari Singh were inflicting blade injuries on him.
"I have considered the statement made by the undertrial prisoner (UTP) Rajender before this court and it is writ large that the allegations made are serious and prima facie disclose commission of cognisable offence upon him while in judicial custody. A report has also been received from deputy superintendent of Rohini Jail, according to which it is Hari Singh and Veer Bahadur who had been attacked," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof