Court questions transfer of undertrial prisoner
New Delhi: A Delhi court has questioned the decision of the jail authorities to transfer an undertrial prisoner back to Rohini Jail from Tihar, where he was shifted after an altercation with other inmates.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Kamini Lau`s order came when undertrial Rajender, lodged in jail in connection with a criminal case, was produced before her with serious injuries including a bandaged face and blade injuries over his body.
The undertrial told the court that three other inmates, with one of whom he earlier had an altercation, had allegedly inflicted blade injuries on his body after he was shifted from Tihar back to Rohini Jail and put in the same cell housing the trio.
The court has directed the DIG (Prisons) of Tihar Jail to conduct an "internal inquiry" and submit a report on April 22 explaining under what circumstances Rajender was earlier shifted to Central Jail Tihar and then moved back to Rohini Jail and kept in the same barrack along with inmate Veer Bahadur.
The ASJ has also sent the statement of Rajender, recorded by her, along with the order sheet to the chief metropolitan magistrate (North) for "taking appropriate action" on the allegations of the accused.
Rajender had told the court that he was shifted back to Rohini Jail from Tihar on April 10 and was attacked by three inmates Veer Bahadur, Himanshu and Hari Singh in his cell on the intervening night of April 11-12.
He had said that at about 2:30 AM while he was sleeping, he suddenly felt he was being slashed by blades and he found that Veer Bahadur had caught hold of his neck from behind and Himanshu and Hari Singh were inflicting blade injuries on him.
"I have considered the statement made by the undertrial prisoner (UTP) Rajender before this court and it is writ large that the allegations made are serious and prima facie disclose commission of cognisable offence upon him while in judicial custody. A report has also been received from deputy superintendent of Rohini Jail, according to which it is Hari Singh and Veer Bahadur who had been attacked," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery