CP shootout: HC refuses to relax parole norms
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, January 30, 2012, 19:15
  
New Delhi: A plea by the 1997 Connaught Place shootout case convict and former ACP SS Rathi, seeking relaxation of parole norms to be out of jail during the period when some of his other co-convicts too may be out of jail, was dismissed on Friday by the Delhi High Court.

Justice Mukta Gupta dismissed Rathi's plea citing parole guidelines which bar granting the relief to more than one convict in a case at the same time.

"There are apprehensions (of flouting parole guidelines). The petition is dismissed," said Justice Gupta.

Serving life term, along with nine other policemen for gunning down two businessman near Statesman House on the outer circle of Connaught Palce here on March 31, 1997, Rathi had been granted parole for a month by Delhi government on January 19.

He had moved the high court seeking relaxation in one of the parole guidelines which bars the grant of relief to more than one convict in the same case at the same time on the ground that they could meet outside and create troubles in the society.

"If there are more than one convicts in a case who are lodged in the same prison, the co-accused convicts would not be released simultaneously except upon special circumstances to be mentioned in the order granting parole," the guideline said.

The counsel for Rathi said the guideline would prove detrimental for him as there are nine other co-convicts who have also got a right to get parole twice in a year.

PTI


First Published: Monday, January 30, 2012, 19:15


comments powered by Disqus