Dalit Christians, Muslims stage protest for SC status
New Delhi: Scores of Dalit Christians and Muslims on Wednesday staged a protest at Jantar Mantar here demanding speedy implementation of the recommendations of Ranganath Misra Commission granting SC status to them.
Several demonstrators, including Archbishop Anil JT Couto and many other bishops and nuns, were detained and taken to Parliament Street police station but were released after some time.
Police also used water canon to control the demonstrators.
The protesters were demanding the government to strike down the Presidential (SC) order of 1950 which denies equal rights to Christians and Muslims of Dalit origin, according to a statement released by Delhi Catholic Archdiocese.
"The law itself is unconstitutional and while the government after government have been turning a deaf ear to the demand of Christians, now they are going to the extent of brutally beating up our priests and nuns and now arresting us too," Archbishop Anil J T Couto said.
During the protest, jointly organised by Catholic Bishops Conference of India (CBCI), National Council of Churches in India (NCCI) and National Council of Dalit Christians (NCDC), the agitators demanded deletion of the paragraph 3 of the Constitution (SC) Order to "make the Scheduled Caste net fully religion-neutral like that of the Scheduled Tribe".
The protesters alleged that police lathi-charged them and said that they would press criminal case against the cops for their "brutal" action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!