Dalit Christians, Muslims stage protest for SC status
New Delhi: Scores of Dalit Christians and Muslims on Wednesday staged a protest at Jantar Mantar here demanding speedy implementation of the recommendations of Ranganath Misra Commission granting SC status to them.
Several demonstrators, including Archbishop Anil JT Couto and many other bishops and nuns, were detained and taken to Parliament Street police station but were released after some time.
Police also used water canon to control the demonstrators.
The protesters were demanding the government to strike down the Presidential (SC) order of 1950 which denies equal rights to Christians and Muslims of Dalit origin, according to a statement released by Delhi Catholic Archdiocese.
"The law itself is unconstitutional and while the government after government have been turning a deaf ear to the demand of Christians, now they are going to the extent of brutally beating up our priests and nuns and now arresting us too," Archbishop Anil J T Couto said.
During the protest, jointly organised by Catholic Bishops Conference of India (CBCI), National Council of Churches in India (NCCI) and National Council of Dalit Christians (NCDC), the agitators demanded deletion of the paragraph 3 of the Constitution (SC) Order to "make the Scheduled Caste net fully religion-neutral like that of the Scheduled Tribe".
The protesters alleged that police lathi-charged them and said that they would press criminal case against the cops for their "brutal" action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city