Delhi court acquits man of charges of raping, forcibly marrying woman
New Delhi: A man, accused of raping a woman and forcibly marrying her by threatening to post her obscene pictures on social networking sites, has been freed by a Delhi court.
The court acquitted the Delhi resident as the woman retracted from her earlier statement and was declared hostile.
"Since the prosecutrix has not supported the case of the prosecution and there being no other eyewitness to the incident, it was found futile to carry on trial of the case any further," Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhatt said.
The court also acquitted the man of various charges including kidnapping and extortion.
An FIR was registered on July 11 last year, at Dabri Police Station on a complaint of the woman against the man alleging that he had raped her. The man`s friends were also named in the FIR.
In her complaint, the woman alleged that the man was her engineering college friend and on May 26, 2012, he offered her a sedative laced soft drink and raped her at a hotel in Vaishali in Ghaziabad in the presence of his friends who had videographed the act.
She had alleged that she was threatened by the man that he would post her obscene video clips on social networking sites, if she did not agree to marry him and was forced to tie the knot with him at an Arya Samaj temple near Kashmere Gate here.
She also alleged that her family and she were blackmailed and extortion was done from time to time to pay him various amounts.
The man was arrested and a charge sheet was filed. The accused had pleaded not guilty.
During the trial, the woman resiled from her earlier statements and said that the man had neither raped her nor threatened her.
She also deposed that they had fallen in love and had solemnised their marriage at an Arya Samaj temple in Delhi with her consent and without any pressure or coercion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31