Delhi gang-rape: Accused Akshay Thakur on 2-day transit remand
Aurangabad: Akshay Thakur, the sixth accused in the gang-rape of a student in a moving bus in Delhi, has been taken to the national capital from here on a two-day transit remand by the Delhi Police.
Thakur was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate Kaushalesh Kumar Singh last night, who granted transit remand to take him to Delhi.
The Delhi Police team then took him to Varanasi by road late in the night itself from where they had to take a flight to Delhi, Aurangabad Superintendent of Police, Pranav Kumar told a news agency.
A joint team of Bihar Police and Delhi Police had caught Akshay Thakur from his home in Lahankarma village in Tandwa police station of Aurangabad district last evening.
Sources in the Tandwa police station said the accused did not resist during the arrest.
They said Thakur confessed to the police that he was present in the bus, on which he was working as a conductor.
He said he had fled to Jaipur after the incident and when he ran out of shelter there caught Jodhpur-Howrah Express to reach Dehri-On-Sone in Rohtas district of Bihar.
From there he travelled to his house in Lahankarma village of Aurangabad from where he was arrested.
Thakur`s father Saryug Singh is a marginal farmer of the village. His younger brother Abhay Singh, who was questioned by a joint team of Delhi and Bihar police earlier along with father, also works in fields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read