Delhi gang-rape: Bone ossification test proves Vinay Sharma not a juvenile
New Delhi: Even as the Supreme Court has decided to hear a petition seeking transfer of the December 16 gang-rape case to another court outside the National Capital Region (NCR) and Uttar Pradesh, it was revealed on Monday that a bone ossification test of Vinay Sharma, one of the six accused, has proved that he was not a juvenile, and therefore, could be tried under the existing laws governing rape cases in the country.
Law enforcement and forensic authorities said that as per the tests, Sharma is 19 and not below 18 as he had earlier claimed.
The details of the bone ossification tests have been submitted to a court in Delhi that is looking at the case.
It maybe recalled that the six persons gang-raped, brutally assaulted and grievously injured a 23-year-old woman medical student on a running bus in outer Delhi on the night of December 16. The woman and her male companion were later thrown off the bus in half-naked state.
She was initially treated in Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital, but on the advice of reputed medical experts such as Dr Naresh Trehan, the government flew her out to Singapore`s Mt Elizabeth Hospital, given the gravity of her injuries and her deteriorating health parameters.
She struggled to survive for 13 days, but eventually succumbed.
Her death led to nation-wide protests and forced the government to set up various committees to look at possibilities of reworking laws related to rape and women safety. It has also been decided to set up fast track courts to ensure quick settlement of such cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence