Delhi gang-rape: Police team returns with `vital` information about Thakur
Aurangabad (Bihar): The Delhi police team, that came here in search of Akshay Thakur, an accused in Delhi gang-rape case, returned on Thursday with "vital" information about the fugitive.
Aurangabad acting superintendent of police Pranav Kumar told PTI that the Delhi police team rigorously questioned the father and brother of the accused, who hails from Lahankarma village of the district and is about 125 km from Patna, before returning to the national capital on Thursday.
The SP said that though the accused could not be caught, the police team has collected "vital" information which will help catch him soon.
The accused`s father Saryu Singh and younger brother Abhay Singh were detained by the police and rigorously questioned at Tandwa police station last evening. They were later released, the SP said.
Meanwhile, residents of the village expressed deep anguish over what they felt was maligning of the name of the village by Thakur, the fifth accused in the gangrape of the girl in the national capital in a moving bus on Sunday.
Many of them even sought death sentence for Thakur for the barbaric act.
A stoic silence prevailed in Thakur`s home which was broken time to time by cries of women of the family.
Thakur, son of a marginal farmer, studied in government school at Tandwa till matriculation before leaving for Chhattisgarh to work in some brew factory. He had landed in Delhi a year ago, the locals said.
Lallan Ram, JD(U) MLA of Kutumba in the district, said the incident was extremely condemnable and has soiled the name of Aurangabad.
Rajendra Chaudhary, the mukhiya (head) of Ramnagar panchayat under which Lahankarma village falls, said Akshay Thakur had put a blot on the name of the village and demanded stringent punishment to him for being involved in the heinous crime.
Sarpanch Arvind Paswan too expressed grief over the involvement of a resident of the village in the gang rape.
Safalta Singh of neighbouring Dhami village demanded that Thakur along with other accused in the gangrape be hanged without any loss of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users