Delhi gang-rape: Sushma Swaraj speaks to PM, demands special Parliament session
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday and demanded that a special session of Parliament be called to frame law for awarding death sentence to perpetrators of crime against women.
Sharing her conversation with PM on this matter, Swaraj said on Twitter, “I have just spoken to Prime Minister.”
And in the same vein continued,” I requested Prime Minister for a special session of Parliament to frame a law to provide for exemplary punishment for crimes against women.”
She added that PM assured her that he would ‘consider the suggestion.’
She said the people were "genuinely angry" on the recent brutal rape incident of a 23-year-old paramedical student in Delhi and demanded that the perpetrators of such crime be given death sentence.
"I have always maintained that rapist(s) should be punished with death sentence. I have also moved a private members Bill for this," she said.
She said she has already demanded in Lok Sabha on December 18 that rapists be given death sentence.
Swaraj informed that she had also spoken to Krishna Tirath, Minister for Women & Child Development, in this regard.
Earlier, other BJP leaders had condemned police action against young protesters who had congregated at Raisina Hill.
BJP’s chief spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi for remaining silent on the gang-rape of the paramedic student.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams