Delhi gang-rape: Victim’s family wanted quiet cremation, says Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Monday denied that the cremation of the Dac 16 gang-rape victim was done in secrecy, saying it was held quietly in accordance with the wishes of the woman`s family.
"Nothing was done without the consent of the family, and their wish for privacy... they wanted it," said Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury here.
Addressing a news conference, Chowdhury said the quiet cremation, held at 7.30 a.m. Sunday a few hours after the body was brought here from Singapore, is "what the family wanted... and we must respect that. There is no question of it being done secretly".
She added that the country must "collectively work" to make society safer for women. "We need to sensitise society, the media, citizens, the government - all need to play a collective role for zero tolerance for such crimes."
The 23-year-old woman, who was gang-raped on a moving bus here Dec 16, died in a Singapore hospital early Saturday. Her body was flown to India at 3.30 a.m. Sunday and the cremation was held within a few hours.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has slammed the secrecy surrounding the cremation, and accused the government of enacting a "drama" over it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi