Delhi gang-rape: Victim’s family wanted quiet cremation, says Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Monday denied that the cremation of the Dac 16 gang-rape victim was done in secrecy, saying it was held quietly in accordance with the wishes of the woman`s family.
"Nothing was done without the consent of the family, and their wish for privacy... they wanted it," said Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury here.
Addressing a news conference, Chowdhury said the quiet cremation, held at 7.30 a.m. Sunday a few hours after the body was brought here from Singapore, is "what the family wanted... and we must respect that. There is no question of it being done secretly".
She added that the country must "collectively work" to make society safer for women. "We need to sensitise society, the media, citizens, the government - all need to play a collective role for zero tolerance for such crimes."
The 23-year-old woman, who was gang-raped on a moving bus here Dec 16, died in a Singapore hospital early Saturday. Her body was flown to India at 3.30 a.m. Sunday and the cremation was held within a few hours.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has slammed the secrecy surrounding the cremation, and accused the government of enacting a "drama" over it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video