Delhi gang-rape victim’s kin happy over US bravery award to her
Ballia (UP): The family of the Delhi gang-rape victim on Tuesday said it was happy that the girl`s courage has been acknowledged by the United States which has selected her for a bravery award.
"She is truly deserving of the award and we are happy that her courage and bravery has been acknowledged," the victim`s brother told a news agency on phone from Delhi.
The brother said they had received a phone call from the US embassy two days ago after which three officials came to their residence in Delhi and took all the details about his sister.
The International Women of Courage Award would be presented posthumously by US First Lady Michelle Obama and the Secretary of State John Kerry on March 8, which is celebrated as International Women`s Day.
To a question, the brother said the family had not yet decided who will go to receive the award and a formal invitation is also awaited.
Announcing the award, the US State Department said in a statement, "For millions of Indian women, her personal ordeal, perseverance to fight for justice, and her family`s continued bravery is helping to lift the stigma and vulnerability that drive violence against women".
She bravely recorded two police statements while in the hospital, repeatedly called for justice against the six attackers, and stated her will to survive to see justice done, the US State Department said.
The paramedical student was brutally raped and assaulted by six persons in a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16 last year and she succumbed to injuries in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'