Delhi gangrape: Police identify four rapists, victim critical
New Delhi: A day after a horrific incident of a girl being gangraped and then thrown off a moving bus came into the fore, the Delhi police on Monday claimed to have identified all the four men involved in the case.
The police have also released the image of the bus captured on a CCTV footage.
The footage shows the bus plying between Munirka and Mahipalpur at around 9:56-10 pm. The bus was boarded by the para-medical student from Dehra Dun, along with her male friend, at Munirka to go to Dwarka after watching a movie.
Addressing reporters, Chhaya Sharma, the deputy commissioner of police (south), on Monday said the victim of gangrape and her friend had got into an argument with people on the bus.
“As far as we know, four persons, including driver, were involved in the gangrape... We believe that the people in the bus could have been cleaners or the cleaner`s friends.”
“Victim is still in trauma,” Chhaya Sharma added.
According to the DCP (South), the boy was dumped from the bus and from him the police learnt of the girl being assaulted.
Giving details of the bus in which the incident took place, Sharma said it was not a regular bus, but a luxury one. "We need help in identifying the bus. Our appeal to the public is to identify the bus and who owns the bus. We are working on leads,” she said, while releasing CCTV footage of the bus.
In the meantime, the 23-year-old gangrape victim has undergone surgery and is "very critical", authorities at the Safdarjung Hospital here said.
"The patient is very critical," SN Makwana, press information officer at the hospital, told a news agency.
A senior doctor at the hospital who is attending to the victim said the woman is in a "state of shock".
"The patient is in critical condition and she is in a state of shock. She has bruises on her face, chest and on her upper abdomen. We have performed surgery... and blood transfusions have also been done," the doctor said under condition of anonymity.
"Her intestines are badly damaged. At the moment, we cannot perform more surgeries as she is in a state of shock. We are monitoring her condition closely," the doctor added.
The condition of the woman had deteriorated and she was placed on ventilator with grave injuries. She bore signs of having been beaten with a blunt object.
The woman was beaten up, stripped and raped by men who were inside the bus. Both the woman and her male friend, who was also beaten up when he resisted, were thrown off the bus near Mahipalpur.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, appalled at the girl`s condition, said "strict action" would be taken against her attackers.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp