Delhi govt opposes plea against BRT, says it is as per Master Plan
New Delhi: The city government has opposed in the Delhi High Court a fresh PIL for scrapping 5.7-km-long bus rapid transit (BRT) corridor here, saying the project was not in violation of the city`s Master Plan 2021.
NGO Nyaya Bhoomi has alleged that Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System (DIMTS) Ltd, a joint venture firm of Delhi government and the IDFC foundation, has created the 5.7-km-long BRT corridor from Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand flyover in gross violation of the Master Plan 2021 of Delhi.
It was also alleged this stretch of BRT corridor could not exist as the width of the road is not 45m which is the minimum width required for the existence of such a BRT corridor.
Opposing the plea, the Transport Department told a bench of justices Pradeep Nandrajog and V K Rao that the recommended road width in the Master plan was "30 metres and not 45 metres" for the "existing urban" areas through which the BRT would pass.
The affidavit, filed by KR Naidu, the deputy commissioner of transport department, said the Master plan suggests that "on all roads with ROW (right of way) greater than 30m, exclusive bus lanes will be planned to implement the BRT system in a phased manner to cover the whole city."
The court has fixed the matter for hearing on July 29.
The NGO, whose earlier PIL and subsequent review plea were dismissed by the High Court on the issue, has filed a fresh one saying it had been granted the liberty to move the court again if the BRT corridor from Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand violated the Master Plan 2021.
The court had on November 21 last year dismissed the NGO`s plea to review its earlier order by which its PIL against the BRT corridor had been dismissed.
"Suffice would it be to state that in the writ petition, there is no challenge that BRT corridor does not conform to the Master Plan norms and thus, we think that petitioner cannot even attempt to urge anything with reference to the MPD norms being violated," the bench had said.
In its fresh PIL, the NGO has sought a direction to scrap the BRT corridor and declare it to be "in gross violation of the Delhi Master Plan 2021 and against the interest of public at large."
It has also sought "removal of bus stops and the bus lane created with concrete structure and other obstacles from Moolchand flyovers towards Defence Colony ...".
The plea had pointed out that most of the time the bus lane remains free with the situation on other lanes, meant for cars and other vehicles, turning chaotic and the people getting stuck in jams for hours.
This non-observance of the master plan has "led to the chaotic situation and traffic jam on this stretch, which leads to wasters of patrol/fuels and precious time," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'