Delhi govt warning to autorickshaws on GPS installation issue
New Delhi: Delhi government on Tuesday warned the auto-rickshaw drivers against fleecing commuters and asked them to install GPS devices on their vehicles at the earliest.
Around 60,000 auto-rickshaws are operating in the city without GPS devices despite repeated directive from the Transport department to do so.
At a meeting, Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami asked senior officials of his department to take strong action aginst the auto-rickshaw drivers who fleece commuters.
The Minister also directed them to ensure installation of GPS devices in all auto-rickshaws so that their movements can be tracked.
While hiking auto fares in June 2010, the government had added a component in the fare to help auto-rickshaw unions meet the expenditure for GPS installation.
The Delhi High Court had in September last year rejected the plea by auto-rickshaw unions opposing the government`s notification for installation of GPS in the three wheelers.
In today`s meeting, Goswami asked his department to educate the public about GPS system installed in around 25,000 auto-rickshaws which were given permits in the last six months.
"People should be informed about various facilities available in GPS system specially the `trip start` and `trip end` system which is helpful in working out the chargeable fare. It was also decided that auto rickshaws which are not keeping their GPS system in `switch-on` mode should be issued notice for cancellation of their permits," said Goswami.
The Minister constituted a committee comprising senior officials of his department to file a report on pre-paid auto-rickshaw booths, monitoring and analysis of GPS data and overall running of auto-rickshaws in the city.
The government had hiked auto and taxi fares by 25 per cent two weeks ago.
The Minister directed officials to conduct periodic
checks at railway stations, bus terminals and air port to ensure compliance of rules by the auto-rickshaw drivers.
The Transport department has also decided that vendors given contract for installation of High Security Registration Plates (HSRP) will have to intimate vehicle-owners about date of installtion of HSRP in writing by putting a stamp on the fee receipt.
The decision came as the Transport department had received lot of complaints about inordinate delay in delivery of HSRP to the vehicle owners.
As per the decision of the Transport department, the vendors will have to operate a separate counter for the corporate operators having at least 10 vehicles or more in their name.
It was decided that in case of DTC and cluster bus, HSRP shall be affixed at the depots to avoid congestion and crowding at Burari Fitness Centre.
Officials said the vendor will be asked to increase its capacity of making HSRP number plates.
"The vendor will be directed to establish a separate unit for installation of HSRP in commercial vehicles. It was also decided that in case HSRP could not be affixed on the vehicle, a conditional fitness certificate with a validity of 60 days shall be issued to avoid any harassment of the vehicle-owner," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM