Delhi Metro to install data gathering system to lower risk
New Delhi: Delhi Metro will install a new system which will gather data generated during construction of 53-km-long underground corridors of Phase III in NCR for risk minimisation and checking influence on existing buildings.
"The system will act as a tool for data acquisition, visualisation, reporting and consequently, as a tool for risk minimisation as it will provide immediate information on the physical progress of the tunnel and correctness of its alignment and ground settlement," a DMRC spokesperson said.
The Delhi Metro is making 74 tunnels for its 53-km-long underground corridors of Phase III.
The Centralised Data Management System will be fully integrated with the general project information, ongoing process data, construction schedule, geological measurements along with 3D movement of the TBM and readings of instrumentation devices.
"It will consist of a map viewer showing the entire tunnel boring machine (TBM) position in planned view, which can highlight any individual TBM or settlement sensor array for a more detailed view.
"The system will also be useful to monitor tunnelling induced ground settlement and its influence on existing buildings, real time monitoring and comparison within expected and limiting values," the spokesperson said.
The use of 34 TBMs within the NCR would be among the highest number of such machines ever used in any urban centre around the same time in any part of the world.
In Phase II, 34.89 km of underground corridors were built, and the DMRC had used 14 TBMs.
The tunnelling of Phase III will be completed by mid 2015 and three tunnels for the section from Central Secretariat terminal to Mandi House have already been completed.
"The final tunnel breakthrough of the Central Secretariat - Mandi House section is expected by June 4. This stretch is almost 3-km-long and is part of the 9.37-km-long Central Secretariat - Kashmere Gate corridor.
"Four TBMs were used to complete the tunnelling work between Central Secretariat to Janpath and from Mandi House to Janpath," the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!