Delhi Metro trains staff in sign language
New Delhi: In a bid to make travelling easier for physically challenged commuters, the Delhi Metro has started special orientation training in sign language for their Customer Relation Assistants (CRAs).
"This training programme will help Delhi Metro`s frontline staff (CRAs) in understanding the language of people with impaired hearing who travel in the train... To ensure that such commuters, while travelling in the Metro are properly looked after, guided and provided a smooth and comfortable ride," a DMRC official said today.
Following about 80-85 requests every month through its Helpline Number 155370, for assistance of persons with disabilities, the DMRC signed an agreement in this regard with Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC), an autonomous body sponsored by Ministry of Social Justice And Empowerment, the official said.
Commuters can seek assistance from the station staff by informing, in advance about the station they would reach so that they can be provided necessary assistance in time, the official said.
Initially, the training is being given to 800 Customer Relation Assistants posted at Customer Care Centres of all Metro stations.
ISLRTC will provide a trainer and an interpreter for the training to be given at DMRC Training Institute at Shastri Park Depot, he said.
Presently, Metro staff are also given special training in First Aid, Customer Care, Spoken English and Communication skills at the metro training institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi