Delhi Police blamed for girl’s rape in moving bus
Kota: National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamta Sharma on Monday blamed the Delhi Police for failing to make roads of the national capital safe for girls after a 23-year-old student of medicine in Delhi University was allegedly raped in a moving bus.
A 23-year-old student of medicine in Delhi University has been allegedly raped by five men in a moving bus last night and thrown off the moving vehicle in a semi-naked condition near Mahipalpur flyover.
The victim is at the Safdarjung Hospital in critical condition.
“This incident has taken place in a thickly populated area – Munirka to Mahipalpur. Due to failure and carelessness of the police such incident has taken place,” said Sharma.
The National Commission for Women chairman also said that she will write to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to take steps to prevent such incidents from happening in future.
The victim along with a male friend had boarded a whiteline private bus at around 11 pm from Munirka in south Delhi to go to Palam, where she lives.
Police said that around five to seven bus crew started misbehaving with the girl a few minutes after she boarded the bus, which was travelling without other passengers.
The victim’s boyfriend tried to prevent the men from molesting her, but the men beat him up and sexually assaulted the girl.
The accused then threw the girl and her boyfriend out of the bus near Mahipalpur in south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar area.
"They took out a rod and beat him badly and then dragged her to the bus cabin where they raped her," the uncle of victim`s friend said.
Her friend, who used to work in a software firm, was escorting her home after watching a film at the Select City Walk mall in Saket.
The police said it was not clear yet whether the five assailants were passengers or bus staff.
No arrests have been made so far; the police have seized two buses.
The victim`s friend registered a complaint with the Vasant Vihar police station at around 1.15 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'