‘Delhi Police to launch special drive to recruit women’
New Delhi: The Delhi Police will soon launch a special drive for recruiting female constables and officers and appoint more women personnel in police stations to instill confidence among women.
"I have directed the Delhi Police to launch a special drive for recruiting women. We will hire more women in the Delhi Police," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters here.
Shinde said he has also instructed authorities concerned to deploy at least one woman officer in each of the capital`s 166 police stations.
"Every police station should have women police personnel. I have also suggested that each of the 166 police stations in Delhi should have at least one woman police officer. But we do not have that many numbers of police officers. But I told them whatever possible should be deployed till we recruit more women," he said.
The Home Minister`s statement comes in the backdrop of public protests over the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital on December 16.
Asked about the condition of the girl, who is currently undergoing treatment in Singapore, Shinde said her condition continues to be critical.
He dismissed reports which suggested that doctors at Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, where the girl was treated till Wednesday, were sidelined while taking a decision to send her abroad for better treatment, saying it was their (doctors at Safdarjung) opinion to send her abroad.
"Doctors of Safdarjung and doctors of other government hospitals were called. They were also consulted along with Dr Naresh Trehan (chief of privately-run Medanta Medicity) before taking the decision," he said.
Shinde said the government was ready to send the girl anywhere in the world -- be in Singapore, London or the US -- for best available treatment and did it accordingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery