‘Delhi Police to launch special drive to recruit women’
New Delhi: The Delhi Police will soon launch a special drive for recruiting female constables and officers and appoint more women personnel in police stations to instill confidence among women.
"I have directed the Delhi Police to launch a special drive for recruiting women. We will hire more women in the Delhi Police," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters here.
Shinde said he has also instructed authorities concerned to deploy at least one woman officer in each of the capital`s 166 police stations.
"Every police station should have women police personnel. I have also suggested that each of the 166 police stations in Delhi should have at least one woman police officer. But we do not have that many numbers of police officers. But I told them whatever possible should be deployed till we recruit more women," he said.
The Home Minister`s statement comes in the backdrop of public protests over the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital on December 16.
Asked about the condition of the girl, who is currently undergoing treatment in Singapore, Shinde said her condition continues to be critical.
He dismissed reports which suggested that doctors at Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, where the girl was treated till Wednesday, were sidelined while taking a decision to send her abroad for better treatment, saying it was their (doctors at Safdarjung) opinion to send her abroad.
"Doctors of Safdarjung and doctors of other government hospitals were called. They were also consulted along with Dr Naresh Trehan (chief of privately-run Medanta Medicity) before taking the decision," he said.
Shinde said the government was ready to send the girl anywhere in the world -- be in Singapore, London or the US -- for best available treatment and did it accordingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden