‘Delhi Police to launch special drive to recruit women’
New Delhi: The Delhi Police will soon launch a special drive for recruiting female constables and officers and appoint more women personnel in police stations to instill confidence among women.
"I have directed the Delhi Police to launch a special drive for recruiting women. We will hire more women in the Delhi Police," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters here.
Shinde said he has also instructed authorities concerned to deploy at least one woman officer in each of the capital`s 166 police stations.
"Every police station should have women police personnel. I have also suggested that each of the 166 police stations in Delhi should have at least one woman police officer. But we do not have that many numbers of police officers. But I told them whatever possible should be deployed till we recruit more women," he said.
The Home Minister`s statement comes in the backdrop of public protests over the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital on December 16.
Asked about the condition of the girl, who is currently undergoing treatment in Singapore, Shinde said her condition continues to be critical.
He dismissed reports which suggested that doctors at Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, where the girl was treated till Wednesday, were sidelined while taking a decision to send her abroad for better treatment, saying it was their (doctors at Safdarjung) opinion to send her abroad.
"Doctors of Safdarjung and doctors of other government hospitals were called. They were also consulted along with Dr Naresh Trehan (chief of privately-run Medanta Medicity) before taking the decision," he said.
Shinde said the government was ready to send the girl anywhere in the world -- be in Singapore, London or the US -- for best available treatment and did it accordingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal