Delhi rape: Parliamentary panel calls Union Home Secy, Delhi Police head
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has issued summons to Union Home Secretary RK Singh and Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in connection with the recent gang-rape and brutal assault of a paramedic student in the national capital.
The Parliament`s Standing Committee on Home Affairs has sent notices to both to be present at its meeting on December 27, where the security situation in the country, and Delhi in particular, will be discussed in the wake of the recent rape incident.
The Committee chaired by BJP Rajya Sabha member M Venkaiah Naidu will also discuss setting up fast-track courts to try perpetrators of such heinous crimes and granting of exemplary punishment to them.
Sources close to Naidu said the Parliamentary panel has convened its meeting in the wake of rising incidents of rape in Delhi and to discuss measures to check increasing crime in the capital.
Delhi Police has come under sharp attack on the issue of law and order in the national capital, especially safety of women.
Government has already agreed to try the Delhi gang-rape case in the fast-track court and there have been demands from various quarters for grant of exemplary punishment to the culprits.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living