Discoms are haughty: Delhi consumer forum
New Delhi: Discoms are "haughty" and "revel in harassing customers," the Delhi State Consumer Commission has held, while dismissing BSES Yamuna`s plea against an order directing it to refund excess power charges it had "coerced" a lady doctor into paying for alleged theft of electricity.
"Electricity department is a welfare department and is supposed to provide necessary facilities without disruption, but functioning of the appellant/opposite party (BSES Yamuna) shows that they have scant regard for welfare of the society and their attitude is that of being hot-headed and haughty and they seem to revel in harassing customers.
"It is high time they change their attitude and realise that they are supposed to provide hassle-free service. The case in hand provides an example of such attitude," a bench presided by Justice Barkat Ali Zaidi said.
The bench confirmed the order of the district consumer forum, which had absolved the complainant Nirmala Joseph of theft charges and held that the discom had coerced her into paying Rs 4,12,116 as power consumption and theft charges.
The district forum had directed the discom to revise her power consumption bills and after deducting the correct charges from the amount of Rs 4,12,116, to refund the rest along with compensation of Rs 25,000.
This order was challenged by the discom, whose plea was rejected by the commission.
The commission observed "there is no theft involved in this case. The meter was taken away by the electricity authorities (discom) and they have not alleged that it was tampered with. After the meter had been removed by the electricity authorities, a direct connection was provided to the respondent.
"The charges of direct connection were determined and paid by the complainant. Bills were submitted by electricity department on various dates for which there is no justification. The district consumer forum has detailed all those demands and bills and has rightly concluded the demands and bills were not justified and the district consumer forum was therefore justified in ordering reimbursement."
The bench also rejected the discom`s contention that there was a settlement with the complainant, saying there was no documentary evidence about it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh