DRI busts drug smuggling syndicate in Delhi
New Delhi: An international syndicate involved in smuggling has been unearthed by DRI and cigarettes commonly used in rave parties and worth more than Rs three crore have been seized.
Acting on an intelligence input, the DRI officials have recovered eight containers filled with smuggled items brought from a foreign nation and which were given clearances from Inland Container Depot (ICD) in Tughlakabad on the basis of forget documents, sources said.
Besides the cigarettes, the officials seized over 8,000 air conditioners of various brands and 6,000 units of R-22 gases, commonly used in heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, the sources said.
The demand for R-22 gases is on rise across the country.
The officials have zeroed in on the involvement of two Delhi-based businessmen in the smuggling ring and have launched a hunt to nab them.
Sources said the sleuths have recovered at least 18,000 packets (one packet containing 20 packs of 10 cigarettes each) of `Djarum Black` brand and over 11,000 packets (one packet containing 24 packs of 10 cigarettes each) of `Gudang Garam` brand.
Both the seized brands of cigarettes were manufactured in Indonesia and used in clubs or in rave parties, the sources said.
The cigarettes (over 60 lakh sticks) are valued over Rs three crore in the international market.
They said the department was trying to find out others who may have assisted the two businessmen, who own shops in Delhi`s Karol Bagh market, in getting the documents forged to get the consignment out of the ICD.
"It is a first of its kind case where the containers filled with illegal and undisclosed goods came out of the depot on the basis of fake documents. The investigation in the case is on," a source said.
The DRI will look into all aspects including possible involvement of depot officials and other private members who led to the lapse.
According to sources, the value of all the seized goods is at least over Rs 20 crore. "DRI had on Friday recovered the containers which are still being opened," the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks