DSGMC is public authority, comes under purview of RTI Act: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) is a "public authority" and comes under the purview of the Right to Information Act, the Delhi High Court has held.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also dismissed the DSGMC`s appeal against the single judge order which had held it as "public authority".
"Once we read the definition of `public authority` in Section 2(h) of the RTI Act, obvious conclusion would be that the appellant(DSGMC) is a `public authority` as it is constituted by the Act of the Parliament. Undeniably, the appellant is a statutory body under the Delhi Sikh Gurudwaras Act. It is constituted under Section 3 of the DSG Act," the bench said.
The bench rejected the Committee counsel K T S Tulsi`s argument that though the DSGMC may have been established by a law made by the Parliament but it is not a public authority as it did not receive funds directly or indirectly from government.
"We, thus, hold that once it is found that an authority or body or institution of self government is established or constituted in any manner prescribed in the RTI Act, then there is no further requirement of such a body to be either owned or controlled or substantially financed by an appropriate government," the bench further said.
On July 22, 2007, the single judge bench of the High Court had held that the Sikh body was a `public authority` and falls under the ambit of RTI Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31