DTC buses make travel free for senior citizens
New Delhi: In a "gift" to lakhs of senior
citizens on the eve of World Elders Day, the Delhi government
today announced for them monthly DTC bus passes on payment of
nominal Rs 50 for travelling in non-AC buses and Rs 150 for
travelling in AC buses.
There will be no income ceiling for issuance of the
passes to senior citizens aged 60 and above.
"The monthly passes will be issued to all senior citizens
in the city and they will only have to provide proof of age to
get it," Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said, adding
the passes would be issued from tomorrow.
He said the scheme is a gift to the senior citizens on
the eve of tomorrow`s `World Elders Day`.
Earlier, concessional bus passes were issued based on
income ceilings to senior citizens. DTC has so far issued 4.5
lakhs passes to senior citizens based on the income ceilings.
Lovely also announced extending free travel to blind
persons in air-conditioned buses also in Delhi and NCR region.
Till now blind persons could travel free only in non-AC buses.
Noting that financial health of DTC has improved
significantly after induction of the low floor buses, he said
the daily average revenue collection has increased to Rs 3.5
crore against Rs 75 lakh a few months back.
He said transport department was trying very hard to
further improve the services of the DTC and as part of the
efforts, global positioning system has been installed in all
the low floor buses to track their movement and ensure
adherence of the time table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days