DTC buses make travel free for senior citizens
New Delhi: In a "gift" to lakhs of senior
citizens on the eve of World Elders Day, the Delhi government
today announced for them monthly DTC bus passes on payment of
nominal Rs 50 for travelling in non-AC buses and Rs 150 for
travelling in AC buses.
There will be no income ceiling for issuance of the
passes to senior citizens aged 60 and above.
"The monthly passes will be issued to all senior citizens
in the city and they will only have to provide proof of age to
get it," Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said, adding
the passes would be issued from tomorrow.
He said the scheme is a gift to the senior citizens on
the eve of tomorrow`s `World Elders Day`.
Earlier, concessional bus passes were issued based on
income ceilings to senior citizens. DTC has so far issued 4.5
lakhs passes to senior citizens based on the income ceilings.
Lovely also announced extending free travel to blind
persons in air-conditioned buses also in Delhi and NCR region.
Till now blind persons could travel free only in non-AC buses.
Noting that financial health of DTC has improved
significantly after induction of the low floor buses, he said
the daily average revenue collection has increased to Rs 3.5
crore against Rs 75 lakh a few months back.
He said transport department was trying very hard to
further improve the services of the DTC and as part of the
efforts, global positioning system has been installed in all
the low floor buses to track their movement and ensure
adherence of the time table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam