DTC buses make travel free for senior citizens
New Delhi: In a "gift" to lakhs of senior
citizens on the eve of World Elders Day, the Delhi government
today announced for them monthly DTC bus passes on payment of
nominal Rs 50 for travelling in non-AC buses and Rs 150 for
travelling in AC buses.
There will be no income ceiling for issuance of the
passes to senior citizens aged 60 and above.
"The monthly passes will be issued to all senior citizens
in the city and they will only have to provide proof of age to
get it," Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said, adding
the passes would be issued from tomorrow.
He said the scheme is a gift to the senior citizens on
the eve of tomorrow`s `World Elders Day`.
Earlier, concessional bus passes were issued based on
income ceilings to senior citizens. DTC has so far issued 4.5
lakhs passes to senior citizens based on the income ceilings.
Lovely also announced extending free travel to blind
persons in air-conditioned buses also in Delhi and NCR region.
Till now blind persons could travel free only in non-AC buses.
Noting that financial health of DTC has improved
significantly after induction of the low floor buses, he said
the daily average revenue collection has increased to Rs 3.5
crore against Rs 75 lakh a few months back.
He said transport department was trying very hard to
further improve the services of the DTC and as part of the
efforts, global positioning system has been installed in all
the low floor buses to track their movement and ensure
adherence of the time table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened