DUTA alleges violation of rules in appointment of HODs
New Delhi: The Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA) on Tuesday alleged that the principle of rotation has been violated by the varsity in appointment of the heads of departments.
"The principle of rotation laid down under Ordinance XXIII in appointment of Heads of Departments in several cases has been violated in a completely non-transparent manner in the past few years," DUTA President Nandita Narain claimed in a statement.
Ordinance XXIII (1) stipulates that "The Head of the Department shall be appointed by the Vice-Chancellor by observing, as far as possible, the principle of rotation."
The latest example of such arbitrary use of powers has come to light in the Department of Geology where JP Srivastava has been refused the position of HOD by the varsity twice, Narain claimed.
Professor CS Dubey was appointed HOD of the Geology department on June 1, 2011. On expiry of his term on June 2, his term was extended till further orders even though the ordinance does not provide for any such extension.
Dubey is currently also Director, Campus of Open Learning and therefore a member of the Vice-Chancellor`s team - Chairman, Delhi University Sports Council, and Dean, Faculty of Science.
Bypassing JP Srivastava, Devesh Kumar Sinha, six years junior to Srivastava, has now been appointed as the Head, Geology Department for three years.
"DUTA urges the Visitor to intervene urgently and institute a comprehensive enquiry into the numerous examples of blatant violations of all rules and regulations and large-scale academic and administrative misgovernance," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened