Ex-Congress MLA arrested after daughter-in-law found hanging
New Delhi: A former Congress MLA has been arrested after her daughter-in-law was found hanging under mysterious circumstances at a house in Delhi`s Sarai Rohilla area.
Sadiram`s wife and his son Sudhanshu have also been arrested.
Victim`s family alleged that their daughter was killed for dowry. Her in-laws, however, claimed that she had committed suicide.
Rekha, 27, was found hanging inside her in-law`s house on Saturday morning.
Rekha`s father Ashok Chaudhary, in his complaint, said in December 2012, he had organised her daughter`s marriage with the son of former MLA Sadiram.
"A few days after the marriage, Rekha`s in-laws started demanding more dowry. When I could not fulfil their continuous demand, they killed my daughter," Chaudhary said.
"Victim`s body has been sent for post-mortem to ascertain the exact reason behind the death as her family members alleged that she was killed by her in-laws for dowry," said a police officer.
"A probe in the case has been conducted and we are waiting for victim`s post-mortem report before taking further action," the officer added.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured