Fake US currency racket busted, five arrested
New Delhi: With the arrest of five foreign
nationals, Delhi Police on Friday claimed to have busted a racket
of printing counterfeit US dollars, fake passports, visas and
residential permits and recovered a huge cache of fake
currency and documents from their possession.
Gabriel Olawale Ajisafe, Sunny Odigie, Enwere Okechukwa
Kelvin Enwere, Caroline Cherotich and Augustine John Kwaku
Kyare were arrested on Wednesday for running the racket for
the past one year in the National Capital Region.
The five, who hail from Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana, were
involved in printing of counterfeit US dollars, making fake
passports of African countries, fake water marks, fake Indian
visas, fake residential permits, fake stamps and seals.
"22,000 counterfeit US Dollars of 100 denominations, 120
fake passports of Lesotho, Ghana, Botswana and 35 passports of
other countries, 61 fake stamps/seals of Indian and Foreign
Immigration Authorities and various embassies, screen printing
set and other incriminating materials have been recovered,"
Ashok Chand, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Crime and
He said the accused claimed that the counterfeit US
Dollars are being sent to the African countries for
The arrests came after a deal was stuck between the
racketeers and a decoy customer for providing a fake passport
with fake Indian visa and immigration stamp.
The main accused Gabriel Olawale Ajisafe has been living
in India for the past 30 years and has married an Indian. He
was arrested in a NDPS Act in 2004 and was released from Tihar
Jail in 2008, Chand said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video