Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery
New Delhi: Battling for survival at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for a month, two-year-old battered baby Falak is likely undergo another life-saving brain surgery, a doctor treating her said.
"We were waiting for the brain infection to subside. The culture test on the brain tisue has shown that her infection has subsided. We are likely to conduct the shunt surgery on Sunday or tomorrow (Monday)," Deepak Agrawal, assistant professor (neurosurgery) at the AIIMS Trauma Centre told IANS.
The procedure involves the insertion of a shunt to divert fluid from the brain into the abdominal cavity, where it is absorbed into the bloodstream. According to doctors, Falak has already undergone five life-saving surgeries.
"The two-year-old is still critical but stable. She has already undergone five life- saving surgeries. She is still on ventilator support," Agrawal said.
However, the doctors who are treating Falak said she won`t be able to lead a normal life even after she recovers from her injuries.
"She was suffering from brain infection for over two weeks, which is now sustained. The infection must have affected parts of her brain. Even if she recovers, it might deprive her of a normal life in future," Agrawal added.
Meanwhile, Munni, a 22-year-old woman who claims to be Falak`s mother, visited her for the first time at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
"Munni was here only for 15 minutes. She was left alone in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). She was very emotional and tears rolled from her eyes. She left the room without uttering a word," Agrawal added.
Falak was admitted to AIIMS Jan 18 by a 14-year-old girl who claimed to be her mother. The baby was in a critical condition as her head was fractured and she had human bite marks all over her tiny frame.
Investigations in the case have pointed to a likely human trafficking and prostitution racket, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!