FIR should be lodged against Kejriwal: Yusuf
New Delhi: Hours after activist Arvind Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of a labourer, Delhi`s Power Minister Haroon Yusuf on Saturday said that an FIR should be lodged against the India Against Corruption leader.
Earlier on Saturday, Kejriwal launched a `bijli-paani satyagraha` to protest against "inflated" power and water bills and hike in tariffs by restoring electricity connection to the household of the labourer which was disconnected for non-payment of bills.
The protest was launched at Tigri Colony this morning when Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of the labourer, who claimed that he got a bill for Rs 15,000 last month and his connection was disconnected as he could not pay it.
Addressing a press conference, Yusuf said Kejriwal is disregarding law and order in the capital.
Kejriwal wants to create anarchy in Delhi, Yusuf further alleged.
"Bijli Paani satyagraha has started in Delhi. Stop paying electricity and water bills till Delhi government withdraws tariff hikes. Let`s unite and fight corruption. If they disconnect power, people will reach in large numbers to reconnect," Kejriwal said.
He said Delhi will show the way in this "Civil Disobedience Movement”.
"I will personally come and reconnect your electricity connection if they disconnect. I will take the punishment. We are ready to go to jail for this. Let`s not accept corruption and injustice," he said.
He claimed that MPs and former MPs owe huge amounts to power companies but their connections are never disconnected. "Poor people are being terrorised," he said.
He said the India Against Corruption will hold a dharna tomorrow and burn electricity bills in 114 municipal wards.
"The Delhi government must roll back the hike before November 03 or we will protest again on November 04 and gherao Sheila Dikshit`s house. We challenge them to try to cut the electricity of anyone in Delhi," Kejriwal said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India