FIR should be lodged against Kejriwal: Yusuf
New Delhi: Hours after activist Arvind Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of a labourer, Delhi`s Power Minister Haroon Yusuf on Saturday said that an FIR should be lodged against the India Against Corruption leader.
Earlier on Saturday, Kejriwal launched a `bijli-paani satyagraha` to protest against "inflated" power and water bills and hike in tariffs by restoring electricity connection to the household of the labourer which was disconnected for non-payment of bills.
The protest was launched at Tigri Colony this morning when Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of the labourer, who claimed that he got a bill for Rs 15,000 last month and his connection was disconnected as he could not pay it.
Addressing a press conference, Yusuf said Kejriwal is disregarding law and order in the capital.
Kejriwal wants to create anarchy in Delhi, Yusuf further alleged.
"Bijli Paani satyagraha has started in Delhi. Stop paying electricity and water bills till Delhi government withdraws tariff hikes. Let`s unite and fight corruption. If they disconnect power, people will reach in large numbers to reconnect," Kejriwal said.
He said Delhi will show the way in this "Civil Disobedience Movement”.
"I will personally come and reconnect your electricity connection if they disconnect. I will take the punishment. We are ready to go to jail for this. Let`s not accept corruption and injustice," he said.
He claimed that MPs and former MPs owe huge amounts to power companies but their connections are never disconnected. "Poor people are being terrorised," he said.
He said the India Against Corruption will hold a dharna tomorrow and burn electricity bills in 114 municipal wards.
"The Delhi government must roll back the hike before November 03 or we will protest again on November 04 and gherao Sheila Dikshit`s house. We challenge them to try to cut the electricity of anyone in Delhi," Kejriwal said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what