Former Jamia student gets anticipatory bail in criminal case
New Delhi: A 22-year-old former student of Jamia Millia Islamia University has been given anticipatory bail by a Delhi court in a case lodged against him for allegedly entering the campus forcibly and instigating pupils to damage its property.
Additional Sessions Judge Gulshan Kumar allowed the bail plea of Hamidur Rahman while asking him to join investigation in the case "as and when required" by the police.
"Keeping in view the totality of facts and circumstances of the case, application under Section 438 of the Criminal Procedure Code moved on behalf of accused (Rahman) is allowed.
"It is directed that in the event of his arrest, accused be released on bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 25,000 with one surety of the like amount to the satisfaction of the investigating officer (IO) / station house officer (SHO). The applicant/accused is directed to join investigation as and when required," the court said.
As per the FIR lodged on a complaint by the university`s proctor, Rahman along with some outsiders had entered the university campus and had instigated students present there to damage properties.
"Rahman also pushed the guards of the University when they tried to stop him from entering the hostel premises. Thus, the accused had disturbed peace and tranquillity of the campus," the FIR states.
Appearing for Rahman, advocate Sitab Ali Chaudhary told the court that his client has been been falsely implicated in the case.
"Rahman seems to be paying the price for demanding the restoration of democracy in the campus," the counsel said.
The accused is an ex-student of the university and was not present in the campus on the day of the alleged incident, the counsel said.
He alleged the complaint had "levelled false, baseless, vexatious and concocted charges" against Rahman to falsely implicate and pressurise him to withdraw a public interest litigation filed by him in the Delhi High Court seeking a direction to the varsity to hold students` union election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights