Four earthquakes rattle Delhi-NCR within three hours; no casualties
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: People in the national capital region were jolted out of sleep early on Tuesday after four slight-intensity quakes were felt within a span of three hours.
The first tremor of 3.1 magnitude on the Richter Scale occurred at 12:41 am followed by the second earthquake of 3.3 magnitude at around 1.41 am.
Hundreds of panicked people in Delhi and adjoining cities of Gurgaon, Noida and Ghaziabad rushed out of their homes after the first quake and most were still out in the open when tremors were felt for the second time.
Also Read: Earthquakes: Why Delhi is a high risk zone?
Later two more quakes of 2.5 and 2.8 magnitude intensity followed at 1.55 and 3.40 am respectively. The tremors lasted for three to four seconds.
While the epicentre of the first quake was at a depth of 10 kilometres below the ground near Sainik Farms area in South Delhi, the second was centred south-east of Manesar near Gurgaon in Haryana.
Delhi lies in seismic zone 4.
Twitter was also abuzz with activity on the Delhi earthquake.
In Rajasthan felt the earthquake in Delhi via @TwitterIndia :-) The world is increasingly looking more like '@'
— Rajyavardhan Rathore (@Ra_THORe) November 12, 2013
Tremors! Earthquake in Delhi. Lasted like a grind for a many seconds
— Tarun Shukla (@shukla_tarun) November 11, 2013
— Shiv Aroor (@ShivAroor) November 11, 2013
Is it me, or did I just feel earthquake tremors (in #Delhi)..
— Ayush Das (@ayush_d) November 11, 2013
Despite being awake till 1 am never felt the earthquake shocks in Delhi. May be low intensity and central Delhi was away from its centre.
— S Irfan Habib (@irfhabib) November 12, 2013
T 1291 -The earthquake in Delhi is so scary .. been in one many years ago .. its like 1000 jets taking off under you ! The whole city shakes
— Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan) November 12, 2013
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends