Four held for extortion in Delhi
New Delhi: Four men were arrested here for allegedly attempting to extort Rs 1.5 crore from a factory owner, police said on Monday.
The arrested have been identified as Dinesh, Faishal Hassan, Manoj Kumar and Vijay, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) P Karunakaran said.
Vijay was a former employee of the complainant Sanjeev Kanwar.
The arrests came following a complaint filed by Kanwar, a resident of Ashok Vihar, on April 6 that he received a call demanding Rs one crore, which was later increased by another Rs 50 lakh.
When Kanwar told them that he could not pay the amount, he was told that he would be killed.
Police collected details about employees and business associates and after technical surveillance, a raid was conducted.
Dinesh was picked up for questioning during which he told police that he along with his three associates planned extort money from Kanwar, Karunakaran said.
It was Vijay who suggested that Kanwar could be targetted.
"Manoj arranged a SIM card from Jind in Haryana. The accused made extortion calls from outside the borders of Delhi so that police could not get a clue. They got the idea of extorting money from a rich businessman from Hindi movies to become rich over night," Karunalaran said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack