Gang-rape case: Accused moves SC for shifting trial out of Delhi
New Delhi: One of the six accused in the December 16 gang-rape and murder case has pleaded before the Supreme Court for shifting the trial outside Delhi saying that free and fair hearing is not possible here because of strong public sentiment against him.
Mukesh, who has been charged with murder, gang-rape and unnatural offences, submitted in his petition that in view of regular agitation, police and judicial officials are under pressure to pass an order according to the demand of the agitators and fair hearing is not possible.
"The sentiment has gone into the root of each home in Delhi by which even the judicial officers and state are not spared and in these circumstances, he cannot get justice in Delhi at all," the petition, filed through his advocate ML Sharma, said.
"The case has been assigned to the fast track court which is going to start from January 21 and due to media reports and agitations conducted by the media and others and due to political statements and personal interest shown by the chief minister as well as various cabinet minister, judiciary is under pressure to work against the petitioner. Therefore the petitioner has filed the petition for transfer," it said.
"Due to media trial and day-to-day agitation, the subject matter has gone into the root of each house in Delhi. Petitioner`s counsel is also under serious threat and even in the court room he has been declined to be heard properly," the petition said, pleading the apex court to transfer the criminal case Mathura in Uttar Pradesh.
There are six accused in the case including a juvenile accused. The five other accused --Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh and their accomplices Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur-- have been charge with the offences of murder, gangrape, attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, dacoity, hurting in committing robbery, destruction of evidence, criminal conspiracy and common intention under the IPC.
All the accused had gang-raped the 23-year-old student and threw her and her male friend out of a moving bus. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic