Gang-rape victim flown to Singapore on doctors advice: Dr Athani
New Delhi: The 23-year-old gang-rape victim was shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore, which has a state-of-the-art facility for multi-organ transplant, after doctors attending on her decided that she should be taken there for treatment that could last for several weeks.
Dr BD Athani, Medical Superintendent of the Safdarjung Hospital where the victim was rushed to after being gang-raped and brutally assaulted on December 16, said on Wednesday night she was given "the best of the available medical aid" during her 10-day treatment at the hospital here.
"With fortitude and courage, the girl survived the after- effects of the injuries so far well. But the condition continues to be critical.
"Based on the advice of a team of doctors, the Government of India has made arrangements for the patient being shifted in a well-equipped air ambulance," he told reporters late tonight.
He said that the girl has suffered severe intestinal and abdominal injuries.
Athani said that Singapore was chosen as the destination for the treatment as it was closer from India and the hospital there has state-of-the-art multi-organ transplant facility.
Athani said the doctors` team which was attending on her
for the past 10 days suggested that the journey should be minimal.
"The team of doctors decided that the patient be shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital (in Singapore). The said hospital has the state-of-the-art facility for multi-organ transplant. The treatment might take longer," he said.
The Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital said more than once that the girl would have to undergo treatment in Singapore which could take several weeks.
"She was being provided the best available aid by a team of specialised doctors. She had to be operated upon thrice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights