Geetika suicide: HC summons records, asks police to reply
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday summoned the trial court records and asked the city police to respond to a plea of co-accused Aruna Chadha seeking quashing of fresh charges, including abetment of rape, against her in former airhosetess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
Besides the charge of abetment of suicide, the lower court had recently invoked some other harsher penal provisions relating to rape, unnatural sex and their abetment, against former Haryana Home Minister Gopal Kanda and Chadha.
Justice G P Mittal issued a notice to Delhi police and summoned the judicial records.
"Issue notice. The trial court records are being summoned. Fix it for hearing on May 29," the court said.
During the hearing, Additonal Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra, appearing for Delhi police, opposed the plea of senior advocate U U Lalit, the counsel for Chadha, that the trial be stayed.
"Even summoning of trial court records will lead to stopping of trial. I suggest that let the trial court record the evidence of formal witnesses," the ASG said. The plea was rejected by the court.
The ASG also tried to justify certain parts of the lower court order on framing of charges, saying "the trial court was well within its rights to infer certain fresh offences from the materials available before it."
Earlier, the counsel for Chadha said fresh charges have wrongly been invoked and grave prejudice will be caused if the trial is not stayed.
Geetika, a former air hostess, who was earlier employed with Kanda`s MDLR airlines, was found dead on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest