Govt defers plan to bring Bill for job promotion reservation
New Delhi: Government`s plan to bring an amended Bill on Wednesday to provide for reservation in job promotions to SCs/STs has been put off with most political parties today favouring a legally-sustainable legislation in the backdrop of the Supreme Court striking down such a measure.
At an all-party meeting convened by him to evolve a consensus on the issue, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the government is in favour of bringing an amendment in this regard and would bring an amended Bill soon after legally examining all aspects.
"The government is exploring the possible solution of the current situation," he said at the meeting where Samajwadi Party was the only one to oppose the proposal.
Leader of many parties, including those of the main opposition BJP, suggested that the government should not rush into such a decision and bring the Constitutional amendment Bill only after carefully considering all pros and cons.
The meeting was convened in the backdrop of the Supreme Court striking down on April 28 a decision of Uttar Pradesh government to provide reservation for SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs.
After the three-hour long meeting, Minister of State in
PMO V Narayanasamy said "after hearing the views of all political parties, the Prime Minister concluded that government and Congress are in favour of reservation in promotions of SCs/STs...The same provision by some states has been struck down by courts...Such an amendment has to be legally sustainable."
He said "government will bring such an amendment which is legally sustainable. Amendments will come within a short time. We are working on it."
Narayanasamy had announced in the Rajya Sabha on August 9 that the government will bring an amendment Bill in this regard on August 22.
BSP Chief Mayawati, whose government`s decision was struck down by the Supreme Court and has since been pushing for legislative action, said she asked the Prime Minister to bring the Bill during the ongoing monsoon session of Parliament itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?