‘Govt not disclosing names of tax defaulters’
New Delhi: Former Law Minister Ram Jethmalani on Wednesday asked the Government to produce all documents and correspondence for agreements with various countries to bring back black money stashed away abroad.
Participating in the debate on General Budget in the Rajya Sabha, the BJP member accused the Government of not disclosing the names of tax defaulters who had their illegal money stashed abroad.
"The talk of democratic transparency is a myth. You have
been talking of this for a long time" but have done nothing in
this regard, he said.
Jethmalani said, "Have some belated sense now. Give names
.... Don`t say we are trying to recover the tax money. We want
to know those tax defaulters," and hoped they were not the
ones ruling the country.
He said he had made inquiries from all governments and
they have said, "we have not imposed any such condition of not
disclosing the names."
Jethmalani said had he been the Prime Minister or the
Finance Minister, he would have rushed to Germany and got back
the names of those tax defaulters who have their stolen money
"Whom are we trying to cheat? Those whose guardians you
pretend to be...kindly produce the Protocol signed with Swiss
Government last year," he said.
He said, "Investigations have now revealed that money
stolen from this country is to the extent of USD 1,500 billion
and if brought back would enable a tax free budget for the
next 30 years or provide Rs 2.5 lakh to every Indian family."
Jethmalani also accused various political parties of not
providing equal reservation to women. "You are not prepared to
give even 30 per cent and the malady prevails among all
political parties," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know