‘Govt not disclosing names of tax defaulters’
New Delhi: Former Law Minister Ram Jethmalani on Wednesday asked the Government to produce all documents and correspondence for agreements with various countries to bring back black money stashed away abroad.
Participating in the debate on General Budget in the Rajya Sabha, the BJP member accused the Government of not disclosing the names of tax defaulters who had their illegal money stashed abroad.
"The talk of democratic transparency is a myth. You have
been talking of this for a long time" but have done nothing in
this regard, he said.
Jethmalani said, "Have some belated sense now. Give names
.... Don`t say we are trying to recover the tax money. We want
to know those tax defaulters," and hoped they were not the
ones ruling the country.
He said he had made inquiries from all governments and
they have said, "we have not imposed any such condition of not
disclosing the names."
Jethmalani said had he been the Prime Minister or the
Finance Minister, he would have rushed to Germany and got back
the names of those tax defaulters who have their stolen money
"Whom are we trying to cheat? Those whose guardians you
pretend to be...kindly produce the Protocol signed with Swiss
Government last year," he said.
He said, "Investigations have now revealed that money
stolen from this country is to the extent of USD 1,500 billion
and if brought back would enable a tax free budget for the
next 30 years or provide Rs 2.5 lakh to every Indian family."
Jethmalani also accused various political parties of not
providing equal reservation to women. "You are not prepared to
give even 30 per cent and the malady prevails among all
political parties," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?