Graft case: Delhi CM hits back at Lokayukta
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday challenged Delhi Lokayukta`s decision to indict her for alleged misuse of public funds on advertisements ahead of last assembly polls, accusing the ombudsman of going beyond his jurisdiction even as she met President Pranab Mukherjee on the issue.
The Chief Minister said the Lokayukta did not have jurisdiction to take up the matter as it dealt with campaign for assembly elections and that the Election Commission was the right forum to examine such an issue.
"Whatever the Lokayukta has done in the latest case is outside the laid down rules and regulations as well as tradition. It was a case of 2008. Why he has taken it up now," Dikshit said.
"If a political party or politician flouts any rule (in the run up to the election), then it comes under the domain of the Election Commission. Not under Lokayukta. The Election Commission should examine it," the Chief Minister said in an interaction at the Indian Women`s Press Corps (IWPC) here.
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan last week had indicted Dikshit for allegedly misusing public funds on an advertisement campaign to get political mileage ahead of last assembly polls and recommended recovery of Rs 11 crore either from her or Congress.
The Lokayukta had recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee to administer "caution" to Dikshit for the alleged misuse of public funds for a series of advertisements carried out in print and outdoor media in 2007-08 with punchline "Delhi is changing".
Asked whether she will return Rs 11 crore as recommended by the Lokayukta, Dikshit chose not to reply.
The Chief Minister later said she met the President and took up the matter with him. Dikshit said the President is yet to receive the Lokayukta recommendation.
The Lokayukta had initiated the inquiry into the matter following a complaint filed in 2009 by Vijender Gupta, former Delhi BJP President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery